Oppenheim + Zebrak Names Two New Partners
Washington, D.C. (December 13, 2023) — Oppenheim + Zebrak, LLP (“O+Z”) is pleased to announce that it has elevated Nick Hailey and Corey Miller to be partners. Both Nick and Corey are based in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office, from which they practice nationwide.
“O+Z has developed a truly outstanding team of litigators, and Nick and Corey are among its rising stars,” said Managing Partner Matt Oppenheim. “Nick and Corey have demonstrated their exceptional capabilities both in the courtroom and in the boardroom, guiding and representing the firm’s clients with skill, dedication, and leadership.”
“Nick and Corey consistently bring their knowledge, skills, and passion to bear on behalf of the firm’s clients in complex copyright and trademark matters,” said Partner Scott Zebrak. “They embody the firm’s culture of real collaboration among colleagues, integrity, and strategic thinking, and we’re excited to have them join us at the leadership table at O+Z.”
The elevation of Nick and Corey comes as O+Z has experienced significant growth and success in 2023. Veteran movie and music industry attorney Jennifer Pariser joined the firm as a partner in September, and O+Z added five new attorneys over the course of the year.
About the New Partners
Nick’s significant contributions at O+Z include:
- Serving as one of the lead trial lawyers in a trademark case O+Z successfully litigated in the Northern District of Illinois, winning a week-long jury trial. The jury found that all three defendants willfully infringed our client’s common law trademark and awarded both infringing profits and punitive damages. The court issued an injunction restraining further infringement and requiring the defendants to withdraw their opposition to our client’s application to register his trademark.
- Representing the national trade association of the book publishing industry in successfully challenging a first-of-its-kind Maryland state law as preempted under the Copyright Act.
- Representing a leading education publisher in a copyright case in the District of New Jersey, alleging that the defendant’s textbook solutions service infringes our client’s copyrights in its textbooks.
- Representing several music publishers in a high-profile copyright action against a leading AI company.
- Actively advising clients on complex copyright protection issues, including with respect to online infringement, the DMCA, and artificial intelligence.
Before joining O+Z in 2020, Nick was an associate at Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C., where he represented a range of clients in complex litigation matters. Nick earned his J.D. from Duke University School of Law in 2012, where he graduated magna cum laude, was elected to the Order of the Coif and National Order of Scribes, and received the James S. Bidlake Memorial Award for legal analysis, research, and writing. Prior to law school, Nick earned his B.A. in History from Vanderbilt University.
Corey’s significant contributions at O+Z include:
- Serving as one of the trial lawyers in a copyright and trademark case O+Z successfully litigated in the Southern District of New York on behalf of several leading higher-education publishers against a large textbook distributor. After a multi-week jury trial, the jury found that the defendants willfully infringed and awarded $34 million in statutory damages. The court awarded over $5 million in attorneys’ fees and issued a permanent injunction against further infringement.
- Representing O+Z music-industry clients in multiple copyright actions against internet service providers for contributing to and profiting from their subscribers’ uploading and downloading of pirated music, including in the District of Colorado, the Middle District of Florida, the Southern District of New York, and the Eastern District of Virginia, the latter of which resulted in a $1 billion jury verdict.
- Representing O+Z higher-education publisher clients in a copyright and trademark lawsuit in the Eastern District of Virginia against an online marketplace for assisting and profiting from infringing storefronts.
- Representing O+Z journal-publisher clients in a copyright action in the District of Maryland against an online social networking and file-sharing site, which resulted in a stipulated injunction requiring the defendant to implement rigorous copyright protection measures on its platform.
- Negotiating highly complex settlement agreements and resolving several high-stakes litigation matters.
Before joining O+Z in 2017, Corey was an associate at Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP in New York, where his practice focused on complex commercial and securities litigation and defense of enforcement actions before a range of law enforcement and regulatory entities. Corey earned his J.D. from Columbia Law School in 2010, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar for three years. At Columbia, Corey completed an externship in the chambers of the Hon. Richard J. Holwell at the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. He received his B.A. in Philosophy from Tufts University.
About Oppenheim + Zebrak, LLP
Founded in 2011, O+Z is a dynamic litigation boutique led by attorneys with extensive experience protecting content and brands. Our attorneys have litigated some of the most prominent copyright and internet matters of our time. Top-tier clients in creative and innovative industries rely on us for compelling advocacy, strategic counseling, and decisive action in complex legal matters. O+Z has offices in D.C. and New York and a practice that is nationwide.