O+Z and Its Founders Recognized as Leaders in Intellectual Property Litigation by Chambers USA
“Great Advocates with an Expert Knowledge of Copyright Law”
Washington, D.C. (May 26, 2021) — Oppenheim + Zebrak, LLP (“O+Z”) has been recognized by Chambers USA as a leading intellectual property litigation firm in Washington, D.C.
In ranking Oppenheim + Zebrak in its 2021 Guide, Chambers USA stated that O+Z is a “well-regarded boutique offering significant IP litigation expertise.” Chambers quoted one client as saying of the firm’s attorneys, “They are great advocates with an expert knowledge of copyright law and especially litigation strategy.” Another source told Chambers, “It is a great team. They collaborate, work efficiently and are everything you would want in a law firm.”
Both managing partner Matt Oppenheim and co-founding partner Scott Zebrak were recognized for their intellectual property litigation work by the prestigious, independent legal rankings agency as well.
Chambers noted that Matt “attracts plaudits for his successful IP litigation practice.” One source is quoted as telling Chambers that Matt is “an aggressive litigator, who is very pragmatic, creative in finding solutions and client-friendly.”
Scott “is sought after for his adroit handling of copyright infringement disputes,” Chambers asserts. “He is a great trial lawyer, and very professional. He is pragmatic, resourceful, efficient and among the best lawyers I know,” one source told the rankings agency.
Chambers USA ranks the leading lawyers and law firms across all the United States of America based on independent research and an “assessment of a firm’s work and opinions from external market sources, with an emphasis on client feedback.” Chambers also notes that, “Firms and lawyers need to demonstrate sustained excellence in order to be ranked in the guide.” Chambers relies on its own independent research for its legal rankings.
In recognizing the firm, Chambers considered the major cases O+Z has been involved in over the past year, including:
- The $1 billion jury verdict that O+Z won for their music industry clients against Cox Communications for willful contributory and vicarious copyright infringement;
- The firm’s representation of leading journal publishers in copyright infringement litigation against ResearchGate, which is accused of engaging in, promoting, and exploiting vast infringement that jeopardizes the sustainability of peer-reviewed articles and their dissemination via journal publications;
- Spearheading major copyright infringement litigation against the Internet Archive on behalf of four major book publishers, which challenges the Internet Archive’s industrial scale piracy and specious assertion that fair use or the first sale doctrine protect its conduct in launching its “National Emergency Library” in 2020;
- The firm’s representation of leading higher education publishers in multiple litigations against owners and operators of dozens of pirate websites selling infringing copies of eBooks through Google Shopping as well as against sellers of physical counterfeit textbooks;
- Representing major record labels against “stream-ripping” services, which allow users to obtain pirated copies of sound recordings by capturing content streamed over the internet.
About Oppenheim + Zebrak, LLP
O+Z is a dynamic litigation boutique founded by attorneys with extensive experience protecting content and brands. Top-tier clients in creative and innovative industries rely on us for compelling advocacy, strategic counseling, and decisive action in complex legal matters. Our attorneys come from prestigious firms and have litigated some of the most prominent copyright and internet matters of our time.